Electives/Selectives - Introductory
Scheduling Forms - Class of 2013
Electives/Selectives are scheduled in many different ways. They
are indicated in the rotation descriptions:
Lottery Electives – indicated by an Oasis number – scheduled
through Oasis. Information will be given to you on December 16th. The
only schedule Electives for the published 4-week rotation dates. You
can not schedule an Oasis Lottery Elective for less than 4 weeks through
You will be notified when the Oasis Lottery results are available. After
you receive your lottery results, beginning on
February 13th, 2012 you will be
able to ADD or DROP the Lottery Electives through OASIS (within
the 28-day ADD/DROP deadline for each rotation).
- Selectives – scheduled
through Oasis – Information will be given
to you on December 16th. Beginning February 13th,
2012 you will be adding & dropping
Selectives in Oasis. Any changes in Oasis MUST be completed
prior to the Drop/Add deadline, which are 28-days prior to the beginning
a rotation. If you need
to add a Selective after the deadline, you will need to fill out an
Add Form and discuss the change with Jill Clarke. If you need to drop
the deadline, you will need to contact Dr. Meg Keeley for approval
and then submit the Drop Form to Student Affairs.
- Electives listed as
Arranged – beginning on February
13th, you will need to contact the supervisor/designated signer to
sign the Add
Form to schedule
the rotation. All Arranged Electives will require scheduling
forms for any changes. The signed form should then be turned in to
If your Arranged Elective conflicts with a scheduled Selective, you
need to reschedule your Selective in Oasis. If it conflicts with an
through the lottery, you will need to reschedule your Lottery Elective
- Specially Arranged – these include rotations at UVA
that are not listed in the Student Source and Electives at non-LCME
approved sites – you
work out the details with the supervisor and submit the Specially Arranged
Elective form at least a month in advance.
- Research – you work out the details with the supervisor
the Research Form – at least a month in advance. This includes
both the research listed in the Student Source and specially arranged research.
- Away – to
schedule Electives at other LCME-approved sites and there are a few rotations
listed in the Student Source as away that
with this form.
- International – submit the International Elective
Form to the Electives/Selectives Coordinator at least one month in
advance of trip.
Also, submit the International
Studies Office on-line form; have an appointment with Student Health
to meet CDC vaccination requirements and have evacuation insurance.
When the rotation is approved for credit, it will be entered in Oasis. You
should check your schedule BEFORE you begin a rotation to insure that your
rotation has been scheduled and approved for credit.
Credit will NOT be granted retroactively, so complete any changes BEFORE the
To schedule Electives at
UVa, Roanoke or Salem
The Add/drop Form - Directions - (a drop must be completed
by the published deadline for each period or credit will be lost)
To Specially Arrange
Electives - must be scheduled at least a month
Research Electives - must
be scheduled at least a month in advance
schedule Electives at AAMC/LCME sites, Military Rotations and Electives
listed as "away"
Form - Directions
To schedule International Electives - must
be scheduled at least a month in advance
schedule electives at UVa, Roanoke or Salem
Use an ADD/DROP
- schedule rotations at UVA, Roanoke or Salem
- add Arranged Electives -
beginning February 14, 2011. Note: If
an Arranged Elective does not appear in the Oasis Course Catalogue it
means that no rotation dates
have been set by the department and you will need to contact them to determine
- an Elective may be added up until the Friday prior to beginning the
rotation, with supervisor's approval.
- drop any scheduled Electives, either Arranged or scheduled
- An Elective Drop Form (signed by the department)
must be submitted, even by the published deadline for that rotation
or credit will
- a Drop Form (signed by the department) must
be submitted, even if you are only dropping a portion of the rotation
(i.e. 1 or
- replacing all or part of the scheduled rotation
with another rotation is considered a drop of the original rotation
and an add for the replacement.
- to add additional time to a research project that was approved
on a Research Form.
- to add GSP or Humanities Research, with a proposal attached
- to add or drop (reschedule) Selectives after the 28-day deadline
- no signatures are required for Selective adds and drops - when approved,
these will be changed in Oasis.
You can put up to four schedule changes on one Form.
The Add/Drop Form - Directions
- Write your name and e-mail at the top of the form.
- Circle whether you wish to add or drop the
- Enter the specific dates, rotation number, the amount
of Elective credit involved, the number and name of the Elective.
- Have the supervisor or designated signer of the rotation sign
and date the form - signatures are
required for both adding and dropping Electives. Note: If
an Arranged Elective does not appear in the Oasis Course Catalogue it means
that no rotation datess have been set by the department and you will need
to contact them to determine availability.
- Have your advisor approve the Elective add/drop.
- Submit the form to Student Affairs.
- When it has been reviewed and approved for Elective credit, it will be
recorded in Oasis and the Student Schedule Book in Student Affairs.
- You should check Oasis/this book prior to beginning
a rotation to ensure that your schedule is correct and that you will
to receive credit.
- An Elective Drop Form must be submitted by
the published deadline for that rotation date or credit will be
- An Add Form can be submitted
up until the Friday prior to beginning the rotation, with the
Specially Arranged Electives at UVA, non-LCME Approved sites or International:
At least a month in advance, submit a Specially Arranged Elective Form:
This form is used to schedule an Elective,
- not listed on the web, that
you arrange with a UVA faculty member
- this includes the affiliated sites in Roanoke and
- an Elective with a private doctor or program not affiliated with
an LCME school
When it has been reviewed and approved for Elective credit, it
will be recorded in Oasis..
- You cannot begin to earn credit until one month
after the Specially Arranged Elective Form is received.
- You should check Oasis prior to beginning a rotation
to ensure that your schedule is correct and that you will be
eligible to receive credit.
The number for specially arranged electives at UVA and affiliated
sites in Roanoke and Salem is 9899 and at away sites is 9798.
The Specially Arranged Elective form- Directions
- Print your name, the dates requested and the supervisor's
name and address at the top of the form.
- Discuss the Elective, and obtain the approval of
- Develop the proposal (either independently or with
- If it is an away rotation, obtain Medical School
- Obtain the supervisor's signature and submit the
At least a month in advance, submit a Research
Elective Form to Student Affairs
Research may accomplish one of two objectives:
- It may be the completion or continuation of earlier research.
- It may be your introduction to research, by observation of and participation
in an on-going clinical or laboratory research project, or a retrospective
chart review that is an integral part of a faculty member's research
- If you are designing or assisting in designing a research project
that involves chart review or patient questionnaires or contact, you
to follow the procedures of the Institutional
- Given the nature of most medical research, the student should not expect
to plan and execute an original research project, with the intention of producing
a publishable paper, in the time span available for electives.
- A serious interest in research entails significant involvement and forethought
prior to the elective period.
- In general, research elective requests should be for a minimum of 4
weeks and a maximum of 12 weeks.
- A student may participate in more than 12 weeks of research, but
will not earn more than 12 elective credits toward graduation.
to Schedule Research Electives
At least a month in advance, submit to Student
Affairs, a Research
Elective Form which includes a detailed written proposal:
Research (9796) should
be scheduled with
your GSP faculty
mentor on an Add
Form, with an attached
in Medical Humanities (3509) or
in Biomedical Ethics (3527) should be submitted
to Dr. Marcia
Childress on an Add Form
with an attached proposal,
least one month prior to
beginning the research.
- The Research Elective Form is reviewed and
is either approved for credit or the student is contacted to revise
- When it is approved for credit, it will be
entered on your schedule in Oasis and the Student Schedule Book.
- Because detailed and thoughtful planning
is critical to the credibility and success of any research proposal,
both the proposal
format and the deadline will be strictly enforced. You
cannot begin earning Elective credit for research until at
least one month after the correctly formatted proposal is approved.
- If you want to extend the dates of your research,
you will not need to submit another proposal, but will complete an
add form for the extended dates.
The number for research electives that are not listed
To schedule electives
at AAMC/LCME US & Canadian Medical Schools, Military Rotations and electives
listed as "away"
Use an AWAY
This form is used to schedule
- Electives at LCME-approved
US & Canadian
Medical Schools - 9799,
- Military rotations
- military rotations at Naval Hopsital Bethesda, Walter Reed, Malcolm
Grow and Wilford Hall are LCME approved - 9799.
- All other military sites are non-AAMC/LCME and are 9798.
- Electives listed as "away".
To obtain medical records for away rotations, follow the
directions under Medical
If a program requires a mask fitting: Call Employee Health 924-2013 to make an
appointment with Paige, the nurse.
Away Form - Directions
- You complete Section I (which includes your name and address, the name
of the requested Elective, name of supervisor (if you know it), and a mailing
address with street, city, state and zip code).
- You consult your advisor and obtain your advisor's approval.
- You bring the form to the Office for Student Affairs for signature in Section
- then either:
- you mail the form to the supervisor for approval,
- or you attach a copy of an acceptance letter or email or copy of
your orders to the away form in lieu of mailing it away for supervisor
- When the completed form, with Sections I-IV completed, has been reviewed
and approved for Elective credit, it will be placed on your student schedule
You should check Oasis prior to beginning a rotation to ensure that
your schedule is correct and that you will be eligible to receive credit.
To schedule International
Electives (outside U.S. and Canada)
The International Elective Form is used to schedule
any Elective outside the United States. The Form indicating that you have
completed the International
Studies Office On-line Application,
your appointment with Student Health and have evacuation insurance, must
be submitted one month in advance -
The number for International electives is 9797. The contact
person is April
in the Center
for Global Health. You will also need to have:
- an appointment with Student
Health so they can review the CDC guidelines and check required
- Evacuation Insurance - is recommended for anyone traveling
abroad and is required for students doing Electives
in developing countries. Available through:
- Atena at 1-800-966-7772. They will send the application (cost is $36)
- Students 26 or younger may purchase the ISIC (International Student
Identity Card) for approximately $25. It is available online at myISIC.com or
from Peace Frogs Travel/Outfitters at the Barracks Road Shopping Center
(next to Kroger). It covers you for a year and also provides some discounts
(airfare as well as museums, hostels, etc.)
Travel Alert: Students cannot utilize
University funding or receive University credit for study in a country
where there is a travel
warning in effect.
Where to check for travel warnings? http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html
What to do if you are already in a country and a warning is issued? You
will need to check with the local embassy and have them determine the safest
to leave the country and return home.