Course Content (LOs and Learning Resources)
Workshops for Pre-clerkship Teaching Elective Participants
This series of teaching-related workshops will immerse students in a supportive learning community where you will explore a number of classroom and clinical teaching mechanisms, present a short teaching session, work on communication skills, as well as practice giving and receiving meaningful and constructive feedback.
Specifically, at the end of these workshops, you will be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of teaching and learning in medical settings.
- Create and implement an instructional session, considering the alignment between learning objectives, assessment, and instructional strategies.
- Implement the principles and best practices of clinical skills-based education.
- Provide constructive feedback to students and colleagues that promotes a scholarly dialogue.
- Formulate a self-development plan for both classroom and clinical teaching.
These workshops will be held from 6-9pm on April 18th, April 25th & May 2nd (all Wednesday's). Attendance at all 3-workshops is mandatory. Anyone who is ill or has a personal or family emergency must contact Student Affairs and Drs. Barry, Chen, Noramly, and Waggoner-Fountain.
To encourage you to incorporate the teaching and learning principles into your own practices, we have designed four assignments. Microteaching and clinical skill presentations will occur during the class time. You will also compose a reflective teaching statement and multiple choice questions and submit them to our Collab course website (http://bit.ly/collabsite2018).