By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Describe your experiences with feedback during your medical education.
- Define the primary goal for providing feedback.
- Describe why feedback is important.
- Describe a variety of barriers to providing feedback.
- Identify the components of effective feedback.
- Describe and implement various strategies for providing feedback.
- Generate effective written feedback.
Providing feedback is a critical component of learning and students identify it as one of the most important qualities of a good instructor. Feedback also can help students improve their self-assessment skills, a key element of lifelong learning. However, providing feedback is challenging for many of us. We may have had negative experiences with it in the past, or we might be concerned that it will hurt students' feelings or damage relationships with them.