Electives/Selectives - Introductory
Scheduling Forms - Class of 2010
Electives/Selectives are scheduled in many different ways. They are indicated
in the rotation descriptions:
- Lottery Electives – indicated by an Oasis number – scheduled
through Oasis. Information will be given to
you on December 1st. The Lottery
will only schedule Electives for the published 4-week rotation dates. You
can not schedule an Oasis Lottery Elective for less than 4 weeks through
the lottery. You will be notified when the Oasis Lottery results are available.
After you receive your lottery results, beginning on January
5th, 2009 you will have to arrange Lottery Electives for 2 or 3 weeks or across Elective
rotation dates. After you receive the lottery results, any change to your
schedule requires a scheduling form with the Elective Supervisor’s
signature and your advisor’s approval. These Electives become arranged
after the Oasis Lottery has been run.
- Selectives –scheduled through Oasis – Information will
be given to you on December 1st. Beginning Jan.
5th, 2009 you will be adding & dropping
Selectives in Oasis. Any changes in Oasis MUST be completed prior to the
Drop/Add deadline, which is 28-days prior to the beginning of a rotation.
If you need to add a Selective after the deadline, you will need to fill
out an Add Form and discuss the change with Jill Clarke. If you need
to drop a Selective after the deadline, you will need to contact Dr. Meg Keeley for
approval and then submit the Drop Form to Student Affairs.
- Electives listed as Arranged – beginning
on January 5, you will need to contact the supervisor/designated
signer to sign the Add Form to schedule the rotation. All Electives,
even those that are listed as Lottery Electives, are now arranged and
will require scheduling forms for any changes. The signed form should
then be turned into the Student Affairs Office. If your Arranged Elective
conflicts with a scheduled Selective, you will need to reschedule your
Selective in Oasis. If it conflicts with an Elective scheduled through
the lottery, you will need to submit an Add/Drop Form signed by the
- Specially arranged – these include rotations at
UVA that are not listed in the Student Source and Electives at non-LCME approved
sites – you work out the details with the supervisor and submit the
Specially Arranged Elective form at least a month in advance.
- Research – you work out the details with the supervisor
and submit the Research Form – at least a month in advance. This includes
both the research listed in the Student Source and specially arranged research.
- Away – to schedule electives
at other LCME-approved sites and there are a few rotations listed as
away that are also scheduled with this
- International – submit the International
Elective Form to the Electives/Selectives Coordinator at least
one month in advance of trip. Also, submit the International
Studies Office on-line form; have
an appointment with Student Health to meet CDC vaccination requirements and
have evacuation insurance.
When the rotation is approved for credit, it will be entered in Oasis and
in the Student Schedule Book in Student Affairs. You should check your schedule
before you begin a rotation to insure that your rotation has been scheduled
and approved for credit.
Credit will NOT be granted retroactively, so complete any changes BEFORE the
schedule Electives at UVa, Roanoke or Salem
Use an Add/Drop
- add Arranged Electives -
beginning January 5, 2009, all Electives
are now arranged.
- an Elective may be added up until the Friday prior to beginning the
rotation, with supervisor's approval.
- drop any scheduled Electives, either Arranged or scheduled
- An Elective Drop Form (signed by the department)
must be submitted, even by the published deadline for that rotation
or credit will
- a Drop Form (signed by the department) must
be submitted, even if you are only dropping a portion of the rotation
(i.e. 1 or
- replacing all or part of the scheduled rotation
with another rotation is considered a drop of the original rotation
and an add for the replacement.
- to add additional time to a research project that was approved
on a Research Form.
- to add GSP or Humanities Research, with a proposal attached
- to add or drop (reschedule) Selectives after the 28-day deadline
- no signatures are required for Selective adds and drops
- when approved,
these will be changed in Oasis and on your student schedule.
You can put up to four schedule changes on one Form.
Add/Drop Form - Directions
- Write your name and e-mail at the top of the form.
- Circle whether you wish to add or drop the
- Enter the specific dates, rotation number, the amount of elective credit
involved, the number and name of the elective.
- Have the supervisor or designated signer of the rotation sign
and date the form - signatures are
required for both adding and dropping for Electives.
- Have your advisor approve the Elective add/drop.
- Submit the form to Student Affairs.
- When it has been reviewed and approved for Elective credit, it will be
recorded in Oasis and in the Student Schedule Book in Student Affairs.
- You should check this book prior to beginning a rotation
to ensure that your schedule is correct and that you will be eligible to
- An Elective Drop Form must be submitted by
the published deadline for that rotation date or credit will be
- An Add Form can be submitted
up until the Friday prior to beginning the rotation, with the
Specially Arranged Electives at UVA, non-LCME Approved sites:
At least a month in advance, submit a Specially Arranged Elective Form:
This form is used to schedule an Elective,
- an Elective, not listed on the web, that
you arrange with a UVA faculty member
- this includes the affiliated sites in Roanoke and
- an Elective with a private doctor or program not affiliated with
an LCME school
- When it has been reviewed and approved for Elective credit, it
will be recorded in the Student Schedule Book in Student
Affairs and placed on your student schedule in Oasis..
- You cannot begin to earn credit until one month
after the Specially Arranged Elective Form is received.
- You should check this book prior to beginning a rotation to
ensure that your schedule is correct and that you will be eligible
to receive credit.
The number for specially arranged electives at UVA and affiliated
sites in Roanoke and Salem is 9899 and at away sites is 9798.
The Specially Arranged Elective form- Directions
- Print your name, the dates requested and the supervisor's
name and address at the top of the form.
- Discuss the Elective, and obtain the approval of
- Develop the proposal (either independently or with
- If it is an away rotation, obtain Medical School
- Obtain the supervisor's signature and submit the
To Schedule Research Electives
At least a month in advance, submit a Research
Research may accomplish one of two objectives:
- It may be the completion or continuation of earlier research.
- It may be your introduction to research, by observation of and participation
in an on-going clinical or laboratory research project, or a retrospective
chart review that is an integral part of a faculty member's research
- If you are designing or assisting in designing a research project
that involves chart review or patient questionnaires or contact, you
to follow the procedures of the Institutional
- Given the nature of most medical research, the student should not expect
to plan and execute an original research project, with the intention of producing
a publishable paper, in the time span available for electives.
- A serious interest in research entails significant involvement and forethought
prior to the elective period.
- In general, research elective requests should be for a minimum of 4
weeks and a maximum of 12 weeks.
- A student may participate in more than 12 weeks of research, but
will not earn more than 12 elective credits toward graduation.
Research Electives - directions
At least a month in advance, submit a Research
Elective Form which includes a detailed written proposal:
Research (9796) should
be scheduled with
your GSP faculty
mentor on an Add
Form, with an attached
in Medical Humanities (3509) should
be submitted to Dr. Marcia
Childress on an Add Form
with an attached proposal,
least one month prior to
beginning the research.
- The Research Elective Form is reviewed and
is either approved for credit or the student is contacted to revise
- When it is approved for credit, it will be
entered on your schedule.
- Because detailed and thoughtful planning
is critical to the credibility and success of any research proposal,
both the proposal
format and the deadline will be strictly enforced. You
cannot begin earning Elective credit for research until at
least one month after the correctly formatted proposal is approved.
- If you want to extend the dates of your research,
you will not need to submit another proposal, but will complete
an Add Form for the extended dates.
The number for research electives that are not listed
To schedule electives
at AAMC/LCME US & Canadian Medical Schools, Military Rotations and electives
listed as "away"
Use an AWAY
This form is used to schedule
- Electives at LCME-approved
US & Canadian
Medical Schools - 9799,
- military rotations
- military rotations at Naval Hopsital Bethesda, Walter Reed, Malcolm
Grow and Wilford Hall are LCME approved - 9799.
- All other military sites are non-AAMC/LCME and are 9798.
- Electives listed as (away).
To obtain medical records for away rotations, follow the
directions under Medical
If a program requires a mask fitting: information
on mask fitting will be sent out at a late date. Any questions can be directed
to Jill Clarke in Student Affairs.
Away Form - Directions
- You complete Section I (which includes your name and address, the name
of the requested elective, name of supervisor (if you know it), and a mailing
address with street, city, state and zip code).
- You consult your advisor and obtain your advisor's approval.
- You bring the form to the Office for Student Affairs for signature in Section
- then either:
- you mail the form to the supervisor for approval,
- or you attach a copy of an acceptance letter or email or copy of
your orders to the away form in lieu of mailing it away for supervisor
- When the completed form, with Sections I-IV completed, has been reviewed
and approved for Elective credit, it will be recorded in the Student Schedule
Book in Student Affairs and placed on your student schedule in Oasis.
You should check this book prior to beginning a rotation to ensure that
your schedule is correct and that you will be eligible to receive credit.
Electives (outside U.S. and Canada)
Elective Form is used to schedule
any Elective outside the United States. The Form indicating that you have
completed the International
Studies Office on-line Application, your appointment
with Student Health and have evacuation insurance must be submitted
one month in advance -
The number for International electives is 9797. The contact
person is April
in the Center
for Global Health. You will also need to have:
- an appointment with Student
Health so they can review the CDC guidelines and check required
- Evacuation Insurance - is recommended for anyone traveling
abroad and is required for students doing Electives
in developing countries. Available through:
- Atena at 1-800-966-7772. They
will send the application (cost is $36)
- students 26 or younger may
Student Identity Card for approximately $25. It is available online
at myISIC.com or from Peace
Frogs Travel/Outfitters at the Barracks Road Shopping
(next to Kroger). It covers you for a year and also provides some
discounts (airfare as well as museums, hostels, etc.)
Travel Alert: Students cannot utilize
University funding or receive University credit for study in a country
where there is a travel
warning in effect.
Where to check for travel warnings? http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html
What to do if you are already in a country and a warning is issued? You
will need to check with the local embassy and have them determine the safest
to leave the country and return home.