Letters of Recommendation
ERAS-Specific Guidelines for Letters of
** Please ask your letter
to hold your letter until you send them the Eras Letter Request Form, after
you register in Eras in April.
For each letter author you create in Eras, select "Step 3". Select "Letter
Request Form". This creates a physician/student specific Eras
Letter ID number. Letter writers or assistants can upload
them directly into Eras. You can email this form or submit by
hard copy to the letter author.
Procedure for Uploading LOR's: https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/
User Guide for letter writers new to this procedure.
On the "Letter
Request Form" under
Eras Designated Dean's Office Mailing Address, do NOT enter our mailing address,
enter ONLY the email for contact information: email@example.com.
*You are responsible for checking the status of which
letters have been uploaded by faculty or received by Student Affairs.
Once you have registered with Eras, you can track the status of your letters
the ADTS tab
(Applicant Document Tracking System).
General Guidelines for Letters of
You are responsible for obtaining 3 faculty letters of
- At least 1 should be from a faculty member in the discipline
to which you are applying.
- The Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) is a must for
all programs and NOT counted as a faculty LOR..
- Some programs require a letter from the department chair.
- Other letters should be written by faculty members who know
you well and can comment in detail on your personal qualities.
They should have interacted with you sufficiently so that they can
provide specific information concerning your cognitive knowledge,
commitment, and work habits. At least one should be in your
- DO NOT submit more letters than requested by the
- DO NOT solicit letters from residents. Although they may know
you well, their recommendations will not be as influential as
those of faculty members.
- When soliciting letters, provide the faculty members with
copies of your CV, personal statement and grades for the clinical
rotations. Inform the faculty members of any special issues that
you wish to have them address.
- For EARLY MATCH and NON-ERAS programs, follow the
specific guidelines required by your specialty program. You should
request that the department put your letter in a sealed envelope for you
to send with your application.
- Most programs only accept 3
- Letters can be transmitted online anytime AFTER you