Handbook > Student Life > DMV, Voting, Taxes

UVa SOM logo


DMV, Voter Reg, Taxes, etc.



Cars need to be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (see web site).



  1. Personal Property Tax: If your car is titled in your name only then you continue to pay your personal property taxes to your hometown. If you change your registration or if the car is titled in your name and your parents' name, then you will pay taxes to the City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County, depending on where you live. Taxes are prorated depending on the length of time the car is garaged in Charlottesville or Albemarle County. If you have a question on what to do, call the City of Charlottesville's Commissioner of the Revenue Office at 970-3160 (see web site). Personal Property tax returns for vehicles must be filed within 30 days of moving into the area. In Charlottesville, file with Commissioner of Revenue, City Hall, Room 103A, Charlottesville, VA 22902. In Albemarle County (see web site), file with County Director of Finance, County Office Building, McIntire Road at Preston Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
  2. Car Decals: Most cities and counties of Virginia require a decal to be displayed on the front windshield of your vehicle, next to the State Inspection sticker. A decal is required to be displayed within 30 days of moving to the area, or immediately upon display of Virginia State tags. Decals can be purchased at the Albemarle County Office Building. Decals are no longer required for the City of Charlottesville.
  3. Virginia Income Tax: The Virginia income tax must be filed by May 1st. If you live in the City of Charlottesville, you can get free one-on-one tax counseling at the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office in City Hall, Room A130, or call 970-3160. If you are from out of state, you will need to file Form 780 PY.


Voter Registration

You must register 30 days prior to the election at City Hall in downtown Charlottesville, Room 106, 8:30 - 4:30 Monday-Friday (970-3250), if you are a city resident, and with the General Registrar, County Office Bldg., McIntire and Preston Ave. (296-5863) from 9:00 - 5:00, if you live in the County.

BACK to Student Handbook