Handbook > Student Life > Housing

UVa SOM logo 



Medical students are eligible to apply for housing in the graduate student dormitories and in married student housing. However, the majority of students occupy private housing in the city of Charlottesville and surrounding Albemarle County.

Private Housing

The SOM off-Grounds Housing website is available to current and admitted students to find properties for rent/sale and search/post roommates, sublets, and more. The University of Virginia School of Medicine has partnered with an Off Grounds Housing vender to provide you access to a database with the most up-to-date listing of rental properties available near the University of Virginia. The site includes housing by area and a message board to find a roommate or buy/sell furniture.

To use the new site:

  1. Go to http://som.uvaoffgrounds.com
  2. Sign up for an account - In the Register section, click Register Here; in the U.Va. Community Members section click Register Here.
    Fill in the form to create your account with your own unique username/password. Be sure to use your U.Va. email address to register.
  3. Activate your account using the link sent to your U.Va. email account. You may log in & start using the site immediately.

University Housing

See University Housing site for more information on housing for single and married couples.


BACK to Student Handbook